City of Elberton
P.O. Box 70
Elberton, GA 30635
(706) 213-3100


The Code of Ordinances, Chapter 22 Land Use, and Zoning Ordinance consists of two parts:
Zoning Map – showing the boundaries of various districts.
Zoning Ordinance – setting forth the regulations applicable to each district. (see Ch. 22 Land Use)


The City is divided into zoning districts. Each district has permitted uses, as well as conditional uses, which may be approved under specific conditions. These uses are detailed for each district in Code of Ordinances Chapter 22 Land Use.


Free zoning verification can be obtained via email Planning and Zoning Office. Please have the street address and/or tax map and parcel numbers of the property. Zoning verification letters are available upon request.


The Building Division serves to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public and enhance the general quality of life in the City of Elberton through interpretation and enforcement of the Georgia State Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Electrical Codes, as well as other applicable regulations governing construction and land use.

The Building Inspector reviews building plans and inspects all residential and commercial structures built or remodeled within the City. They also issue the following permits:

  • Buildings (residential and non-residential)
  • Decks, pools, and spas
  • Driveways
  • Demolition of structures
  • Interior finishes
  • Remodeling and building additions
  • Retaining walls
  • Roofs
  • Mechanical work such as Heating & Air Conditioning, Electrical, or Plumbing
  • Exterior siding and window replacement
Regulatory License:

As of July 1, 2008, the State of Georgia requires that all building construction projects over $2,500.00 be performed by a Licensed General, Light-Commercial or Residential Basic contractor.

Each contractor is required to fill out and file a Regulatory License Application. A copy of any state-regulated license is required and must be submitted before permits will be issued.

When do I need a permit?

A permit is required when one desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish any structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, or add a driveway or portion thereof.

It is recommended that you call the Building Inspector at (706) 213-3100 prior to doing any work and ask if permits are required. An inspector will gladly meet with you to discuss if any of the work requires a permit.

Work exempt from permit:
  • Accessory Structures under 200 square feet.
  • Fences under 4 feet in height
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, and cabinets.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door.
  • If unsure, please call the Building Inspector with any questions, (706) 213-3100.
Length of Permits

All permits issued are valid for a period of six (6) months prior to the commencement of the construction. Continual progress must be made to keep the permit in active status.

When do I need an inspection?

An inspection is required before covering any work during the construction process. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • A footing inspection before any concrete is poured.
  • Any plumbing and/or electric installed under that slab would also need inspecting before concrete is poured.
  • Rough-in inspections, which includes the framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and gas systems, before any drywall is installed.
  • An 80% inspection is required to get permanent power on the structure.
  • Then the final inspection where framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, driveway, house number, landscaping and soil erosion measures are to be completed.
Construction Plans/Plan Review:
  • Construction plans are required on all projects.
  • Two complete sets of plans must be submitted to the inspections department.
  • One set of approved plans must be available on the job site during inspections.
  • During the plan review, our goal is to have plans reviewed within ten (10) working days from the date we log the plans in. Other departments within the City must also conduct their review. If issues with the plans arise during the review process, the contact person listed on the plans will be notified. Plans will remain on hold until all issues are resolved.
  • The length of time for review will depend on the completeness and accuracy of the plans submitted.
The following codes have been adopted and are currently enforced by the City of Elberton:
  • International Building Code, 2018
  • International Energy Conservation Code, 2015
  • International Fuel Gas Code, 2018
  • International Mechanical Code, 2018
  • International Plumbing Code, 2018
  • International Residential Code, 2018
  • International Property Maintenance Code, 2018
  • National Electrical Code, 2017
  • Standard Swimming Pool Code, 2018
  • International Fire Code, 2018
Fire Extinguishers

Portable fire extinguishers must be sized and located in accordance with the International Fire Code and NFPA 10. Fire extinguishers must be tested annually and bear a ‘Verification of Service’ collar located around the neck of the extinguishers. Portable extinguishers that are purchased from a retail store will not meet the Verification of Service requirement.

Fire extinguishers are an important asset to any commercial office or business. Not only can extinguishers help prevent fire damage, but they can also save lives. One of the most basic requirements is that an occupant should have to walk no more than 75 feet to reach a fire extinguisher. The employer shall provide portable fire extinguishers and shall mount, locate, and identify them so that they are readily accessible to employees without subjecting the employees to possible injury.

For more information on sprinklers and extinguishers, please follow the link below or call your local Fire Inspector at (706) 213-3100.

Contact Us:
Jason Mooney
Zoning Administrator and Inspector
(706) 213-3100
Email: jmooney@cityofelberton.net